What makes up leadership? What’s the difference between leading and controlling?
Here are ten ingredients to consider:
1. Trustworthiness – It pays more than it costs to be honest.
2. Thoughtfulness – Thoughtful actions begin with kind thoughts.
3. Truthfulness – When in doubt, tell the truth.
4. Dedication – Giving it another try is better than an alibi.
5. Discipline – You’re never your best until you are self-disciplined.
6. Courageous – Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.
7. Ambitious – You will be rated by what you finish far more than by what you start.
8. Reliability – To know what is right and not do it is as bad as deliberately doing wrong.
9. Stability – Stand solid, and don’t have a wishbone where your backbone ought to be.
10. Loyalty – Don’t forget, the same person who promoted you can also demote you.
~ Harold Elliott, Chaplain of Arlington Police Department